Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fat Jokes and Other Family Pressures

Today we went to my in-laws for dinner. This is the first time they have seen me since I put back on the weight. I was there about 5 minutes before my father-in-law made a joke about my weight. My weight is ALWAYS the topic of conversation at their house. They are lovely and wonderful people, and I love them more than anything in the world, but I dread the fat jokes, comments and advice about my weight. And to add to it, my sister-in-law recently lost 40 pounds and I'm very happy for her, but it just highlights my weight issue with them even more. No one seems to remember that I'm the main bread winner for my family, work 50+ hours a week, and still have kids I'm raising at home. I would love to have the ability to focus solely on my weight, not work and private pay for a doctor to to help me lose weight like my sister-in-law did, but that is not my lot in life, and I'm just trying to do the best I can with the hand I've been dealt. Am I jealous? No, not really. I love my sister-in-law and want her to be healthy and happy. I'm happy for her and want only the best for her. But, I guess I don't understand how my family cannot see the difference in our lives and give me a little more understanding. It hurts. I'm not just a work horse. I'm a human being, who has put everyone before myself. I guess that's my fault, but I don't see how I really have a choice. If I don't work, we don't eat, it's not an option. If I don't take care of my children, they will suffer. There are only so many hours in the day. I do not have endless resources and time. How do I make myself a priority without letting other things slide?

No comments:

Post a Comment