Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Postive Thinking, Gandhi and a Thanksgiving Loss

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.”-- Mahatma Gandhi

Wow! This last week has been a whirlwind. I started a new job last Monday and on Thursday I cooked up a storm for Thanksgiving and then my mom came to stay this week for a visit. It's been hectic and wonderful and stressful all at the same time. I guess just life as usual. On the healthy eating and exercise front, despite the holiday and the stress of  starting a new job, I actually got in a couple of good workouts and LOST 2 POUNDS. I stayed on plan perfectly on Thanksgiving and didn't even feel tempted by all the goodies we had in the house. We had three pies, cinnamon rolls, danishes and cookies in the house and I didn't even feel tempted once. There was a time I would have HAD to have some of each and would have OBSESSED about them, knowing they were right out in the kitchen calling my name. This year I didn't even really notice them and I didn't take even a nibble. This change is amazing even to me. What makes this year different from all the other years I dove head first into the holiday season, eating every sugary thing  I could get my hands on? I can't explain it other than this time I've DECIDED to make a change. Like the quote from Gandhi says, I'm keeping my thoughts, behaviors and habits positive. I've made up my mind this time and that has made all the difference.

Last week, I was very fearful that I would fall off my program when I returned to work, but I didn't. I still tracked my calories, ate on plan and got a couple of workouts in. There's a salad bar at my work and so I'm able to eat a very healthy lunch each day, which helps. (I stay away from all the junk in the salad bar and stick to the veggies). So far, so good. In the past, my job was always at the top of my priority list and I was always striving to be the best, even if it meant running my health into the ground. Now, I'm striving to do the best I can, but I'm no longer willing to sacrifice my health and my life for corporate success. I'm striving for balance in all areas of my life. It's interesting,  I'm actually enjoying my work more now, and I'm actually able to balance the multiple responsibilities in my life better now that I'm not a workaholic. I guess I'm starting to learn how to put myself at the top if my own priority list and I'm learning to love myself enough to not sacrifice my life and health for any job, any person, any relationship...anymore.

My goals right now are to continue to work my plan: eating 1300-1500 calories a day, no sugar, no white flour products, no junk food, 8 glasses of water per day and doing my Couch to 5K running program 3 days per week. I'm determined no matter how life may tug or pull at me, I'm going to continue to love myself enough to take care of myself. I know if I continue to stay positive and put my health at the top of my own list, I'll never be this weight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment