Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Hot Dog Is A Lousy Way To Blow 200 Calories

It's 10:30 PM and I'm starving. I had a busy day today, with a dentist appointment for my daughter, a deadline for a newspaper article I committed to write and taking care of my sweet hubby who came down with some sort of mutant flu. I ate a really light breakfast, got busy and didn't get my usual snacks in and by the time I got back home, I was BEYOND hungry and just grabbed the fastest and easiest thing I could find, a hot dog. I wolfed it down (I didn't even sit down to eat it) and whammo, there goes 200 calories and it did nothing to fill me up. SIGH. It was a rookie move on my part and I'm paying the price now. I could have done so much better with those 200 beautiful calories and I wouldn't be suffering now. But, I guess it is a lesson learned. I have to put my needs at the top of list. At this point and really over the last 23 years, since I became and wife and a mother I haven't put my needs even near the top of the list. Heck, they aren't even ON the list. Alas, and where has it gotten me? Overweight with high blood pressure and at risk for some serious health problems, including heart attack, stroke and cancer. Truthfully, I will never put myself first, it's just not in my DNA. But, a realistic goal is to put myself at the top of the list at least. You can't give from an empty cup and I know that. A healthy mom and wife is the best gift I can give my family and I know that, too. I just need to take what I know and put it into action. It seems that's what this journey is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment